Schedule A Tour »
Apply for Aid

Apply for Aid

You need a financial plan to fund your education and start the career you want. Douglas J offers several financing options to help you design your financial plan. Your options may include federal financial aid programs such as Pell Grants, Stafford Loans, and Parent PLUS Loans. Submitting a FAFSA provides you access to all of these federal financial aid programs.

Start with the FAFSA.

Any student interested in receiving financial aid will need to create a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and use it to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This is best done electronically using secure websites provided by the U.S. Department of Education.

Here’s How

To create your PIN, go to If you create your own PIN, it will be immediately available to sign your FAFSA. If you allow the system to create one for you, you will need to wait until the number is sent to you before using it to sign your FAFSA. The PIN is an electronic signature. You NEVER want to share your PIN.

To complete the FAFSA, visit The FAFSA will give applicants the opportunity to list as many as 10 schools to which they would like to send their FAFSA. It is very important you enter Douglas J’s school code in order for the financial aid department to receive your FAFSA.

Michigan and Tennessee campuses: 025882
Illinois campus: 041410

Financial Aid participants fall into one of two categories – Dependent or Independent. An applicant who meets any one of the following criteria may be considered Independent:

  1. Is 23 years old or older
  2. Is married
  3. Provides more than 50% support for someone other than a spouse
  4. Is a veteran of the US Armed Forces
  5. Parents are deceased
  6. Was in foster care or was a ward of the court
  7. Was ever homeless
  8. Was an emancipated minor

Independent applicants will only need to provide their information on the FAFSA. Dependent applicants will be required to provide their parent’s information as well as their own. Both the parent and student will need their own PIN.

To complete your FAFSA, you will need your and your parent’s (dependent students only) social security number and information from the previous year’s tax return(s). In cases where a financial aid applicant and/or parent may not have been required to file taxes, copies of W2s and other income sources, if applicable, would be helpful. For those who filed taxes the previous year, the FAFSA offers the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. The process is easy to follow and immediately populates the FAFSA with accurate information from the tax return.

If you are interested in taking out federal student loans, you must also complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling to be eligible to receive loan funds. To complete both the Master Promissory Note and/or Entrance Counseling, go to

Applicants will not be contacted to discuss their financial aid until they call their Admissions Coordinator.