3 Trendy Hairstyles to Take Into 2019
As the new year begins, you might feel like making some changes. Whether it’s cleaning your house or starting a gym routine, the new year is a great time to try new things. That can start with something as simple as your hairstyle. If you’re looking for some inspiration, here are three trendy and simple hairstyles to try out in 2019!
Who says you can’t be beachy in the winter? Beach waves are great go-to hairstyle because they’re simple and always look beautiful. To create beach waves in no time, follow these steps:
- Start by separating your hair into a two-thirds section. Clip or pin it out of the way and leave the bottom portion down.
- Spray your hair with a good heat protectant and start curling with a curling wand or iron. Take a one or two inch section of hair and wrap it around the wand. Twist the hair as you do this for that effortless look and leave the ends straight.
- Leave your hair on the wand for a few seconds, release the hair, and then tug on the end of the curl to prevent ringlets. Continue to curl your hair in various sized sections and alternate directions (some away from your face, some toward your face), as this will create the undone, natural texture you want.
- For the front pieces, curl away from your face for a flattering look. Don’t forget to spray your waves with texturizing or volumizing spray (dry shampoo, salt spray, etc) and separate the curls with your fingers.
And there you have it, easy, breezy beach waves that look great all year round!
Sleek Low Bun
Sophisticated, elegant, and easy, the low bun is the perfect hairstyle for work, a party, a night out, or any kind of formal (or informal) occasion. Here’s how you can achieve this sleek look:
- Make sure your hair is dry to begin with. Spray with lightweight hairspray to hold and tame flyaways.
- Create a loose ponytail at the nape of your neck. Pull it tight to keep it in place and then divide it into two sections.
- Twist the sections until you reach the ponytail end. Then secure with an elastic. If you want to add volume, tease the twists with your fingers.
- Wrap the twist around the ponytail base to form the bun and secure it with bobby pins.
- Keep it sleek with a little extra hairspray, or pull out a few pieces around your face for a soft touch.
Ta-da! A classy look that’s perfect for just about anything!
Braids might seem basic, but these aren’t your mother’s schoolgirl braids. Seen on celebrities like Kim Kardashian and Demi Lovato, Dutch braids (or boxer braids) have quickly become the “It” braids to wear. Creating these super-trendy braids might seem a little daunting, so we’re here to help you out. Here’s the simple tutorial:
- Begin with hair parted down the middle. Make sure hair is even split over each shoulder.
- Take three small pieces at your hairline. Weave each piece under (not over). The right piece goes under the middle and the left piece goes underneath.
- Repeat this pattern and keep adding more hair from the root each time you create a new weaved section. Think the opposite of a French braid.
- At the base of your neck, switch to a standard braid.
- Tie off the end with a small hair tie and then do the other side.
- Make sure you keep the braid tight as you’re doing this. When you’re done you can loosen things up if you want.
- For extra volume, stretch out the braided loops.
See, that’s not so hard? Try this out for a modern twist on a standard braid!
Want to Become a Hair Styling Expert?
Does doing hair make you happy? Do you want to recreate these styles and many more on all of your friends and family? Learn more about our cosmetology program at Douglas J. Aveda Institute! Making a career out of your passion for hair could be the best decision you ever make.