Douglas J Aveda Celebrates 50 Years
Douglas J Aveda Institutes just celebrated 50 years of providing service to our guests and students! From our humble start in 1967, we now have nine locations (six schools and three salons), and are striving to continue our legacy of a great beauty school experience.
How We Got Here
We started as a small salon in 1967 and have since grown to six institutions and salons to provide hands-on experience for our students and high quality services for our guests. Here’s a short timeline of how we went from one institution to six:
- 1967 – Douglas Weaver and his wife Sharon opened their first salon with six employees.
- 1986 – The first Douglas J Academy of Cosmetology opened.
- 1993 – Douglas J became the seventh Aveda endorsed institution.
- 2002 – Douglas J awarded the Aveda Institute of the Year award.
- 2003-2012 – Multiple salons and institutions were opened.
We were able to grow because of our great foundation of values. Douglas Weaver built his salon around three principles that we continue to follow today:
- Provide an uncompromising level of service for his guests.
- Create opportunity for professional growth for young people within the salon industry.
- Give back to the communities that support Douglas J.
Douglas Weaver was known for breaking the boundaries of hair salons with exciting and innovative new styles, and we strive to instill that creativity in our students.
What We Have to Offer
Our Institution does more than just hair. We offer our students many opportunities to learn and find a career in multiple fields, including:
Our students work in our salons to get real, hands-on experience about business practices. The time our students spend helping guests is not just about the skills of the service, but it teaches our students about about the consultations, retailing skills, language and more that make a business successful.
What We Give Back
We work hard to give back to our community. In the past 10 years, we have donated over 1.5 million dollars for organizations such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, the Alliance for the Great Lakes, Shining a Light and more.
It’s been a fantastic 50 years, and we want to continue providing our services for our students and guests. Thank you for your support and business as we continue to grow and improve our education and services!